Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year Wintry Mix in D.C., Flurries NYC

By , Expert Senior Meteorologist
December 31,2012; 12:03PM,EST




A storm system passing by through the South will bring a light wintry mix to the southern part of the mid-Atlantic and flurries farther north on New Year's Day.
A small accumulation of snow is in store for part of the central Appalachians with a mixture of snow, sleet and freezing rain possible in part of the West Virginia/Virginia/western Maryland mountains early Tuesday morning.
For most areas east of the Appalachians, not enough frozen precipitation will fall to accumulate.
A few flurries can fly in New York City with flurries switching to a dash of plain rain around Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
Of the major cities in the mid-Atlantic, Pittsburgh has the best shot at picking up an inch or so of natural confetti. A wintry mix is forecast for Charleston, W.Va.
Folks traveling along I-79 and portions of I-64, I-68, I-76 and I-80 through the central Appalachians should be prepared for slow and slippery travel during the first few hours of 2013. A few patches of snow and a wintry mix could reach part of the I-81 corridor from Pennsylvania to northern Virginia.
Rain will fall from southeastern Virginia to the Carolinas along I-95.
While accumulating snow has avoided the I-95 cities from New York City to Washington, D.C., there will be plenty of snow on the slopes in ski country through the coming weekend, thanks to the cold weather. (Photos.com image)

No comments:

Post a Comment